JAWAHARLAL NEHRU TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY HYDERABAD
II Year B.Tech. CE. II-Sem L T/P/D C
4 -/-/- 4
(A40109) BUILDING MATERIALS, CONSTRUCTION PLANNING
UNIT - I
Stones and Bricks, Tiles: Building Stones - Classification and quarrying - properties - structural requirements - dressing Bricks - Composition of Brick earth - Manufacture and Strutural requirements.
Wood, Aluminium, Glass and Paints: Wood - Structure - Types and Properties - Seasonining - defects; alternate materials for wood - GI/fiber - reinforced glass bricks, steel and aluminum.
UNIT - II
Cement & Addmixtures: Ingradients of cement, manufacture - Chemical composition - Hydration - field and lab tests Addmixtures - mineral & chemicl addmixtures - uses.
UNIT - III
Building Components: Lintels Arches, walls, vaults, stair cases - types of floors - types of roofs - flat, curved, trussed; foundations - types; Damp Proof Course; Joinery - doors - windows - materials - types.
Buildind Services: Plumbing Services; Water Distribution, Stationery - Lines & Fitting; Ventilations: Functional requirements systems of ventilations. Air-conditioning - Essentials and Types; Acoustics - characteristic - absorption - Acoustic design; Fire protection - Fire Hazards - Classification of fire resistant materials and constructions.
UNIT - IV
Masonry and Finishing's: Brick Masonry - types - bonds; Stone masonry - types; Composite Masonry - Brick - Stone - composite; Concrete, Reinforced brick
Finishers: Plastering, Pointing, Painting, Claddings - Types - Tiles - ACP
Form work: Requirements - Standards - Scaffolding - Design; Shoring - Underpinning.
UNIT - V
Building Planning: Principles of Building Planning, Classification of buildings and Building by laws
- Building Materials and Construction - Arora and Bindra, Dhan Pat Roy Publications
- Building Constructions by B.C. Punmia, Ashok Kumar Jain and Arun Kumar Jain - Lakshmi Publications(P) Ltd., New Delhi.
- Building Materials by Duggal, New Age Internationals.
- Building Construction by PC Verghes PHI.
- Constrution Technology - Vol - I & II by R. Chuddy, Longman UK.
- Basics of Civil Engg by Subash Chander; Jain Brothers.
- Alternate Building material and Technology, K.S. Jagadish, Venkatarama Reddy and Others; New Age Publications.