CE304ES: BUILDING MATERIALS, CONSTRUCTION AND PLANNING
B.Tech. II Year I Sem. L T/P/D C
3 0/0/0 3
Course Objectives: To give the students a basic idea about the construction materials, building components and to introduce various.
Course Outcomes: At the end of the course, the student will be able to identify various building materials required for construction & planning.
UNIT - I
Stones and Bricks, Tiles: Building stones – classifications and quarrying – properties – structural requirements – dressing.
Bricks – Composition of Brick earth – manufacture and structural requirements, Fly ash, Ceramics.
Timber, Aluminum, Glass, Paints and Plastics: Wood - structure – types and properties –
seasoning – defects; alternate materials for Timber – GI / fibre – reinforced glass bricks, steel & aluminum, Plastics.
UNIT - II
Cement & Admixtures: Ingredients of cement – manufacture – Chemical composition – Hydration - field & lab tests.
Admixtures – mineral & chemical admixtures – uses.
UNIT - III
Building Components: Lintels, Arches, walls, vaults – stair cases – types of floors, types of roofs – flat, curved, trussed ; foundations – types ; Damp Proof Course ; Joinery – doors – windows – materials – types.
Building Services: Plumbing Services: Water Distribution, Sanitary – Lines & Fittings; Ventilations: Functional requirements systems of ventilations. Air-conditioning - Essentials and Types; Acoustics – characteristic – absorption – Acoustic design; Fire protection – Fire Harzards – Classification of fire resistant materials and constructions
UNIT - IV
Mortars, Masonry and Finishing’s
Mortars: Lime and Cement Mortars
Brick masonry – types – bonds; Stone masonry – types; Composite masonry – Brick-stone composite; Concrete, Reinforced brick.
Finishers: Plastering, Pointing, Painting, Claddings – Types – Tiles – ACP.
Form work: Types: Requirements – Standards – Scaffolding – Design; Shoring, Underpinning.
UNIT – V
Building Planning: Principles of Building Planning, Classification of buildings and Building by laws.
- Building Materials and Construction – Arora & Bindra, Dhanpat Roy Publications.
- Building Construction by B. C. Punmia, Ashok Kumar Jain and Arun Kumar Jain - Laxmi Publications (P) ltd., New Delhi.
- Building Materials and Construction by G C Sahu, Joygopal Jena McGraw hill Pvt Ltd 2015.
- Building Materials by Duggal, New Age International.
- Building Materials by P. C. Varghese, PHI.
- Building Construction by PC Varghese PHI.
- Construction Technology – Vol – I & II by R. Chubby, Longman UK.
- Alternate Building Materials and Technology, Jagadish, Venkatarama Reddy and others; New Age Publications.