R18 B.TECH MECHANICAL ENGG.
ME405PC: INSTRUMENTATION AND CONTROL SYSTEMS
B.Tech. II Year II Sem. L T/P/D C
3 0/0/0 3
Prerequisite: Mathematics-I, Thermodynamics, Basic of Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
- Understanding the basic characteristic of a typical instrument.
- Identifying errors and their types that would occur in an instrument.
- Identifying properties used for evaluating the thermal systems.
- The concept of transducer and Various types and their characters.
- To identify various elements and their purpose in typical instruments, to identify various errors that would occur in instruments.
- Analysis of errors so as to determine correction factors for each instrument.
- To understand static and dynamic characteristics of instrument and should be able to determine loading response time.
- For given range of displacement should be able to specify transducer, it accurate and loading time of that transducer.
UNIT – I
Definition – Basic principles of measurement – Measurement systems, generalized configuration and functional description of measuring instruments – examples. Static and Dynamic performance characteristics– sources of errors, Classification and elimination of errors. Measurement of Displacement: Theory and construction of various transducers to measure displacement – Using Piezo electric, Inductive, capacitance, resistance, ionization and Photo electric transducers; Calibration procedures.
UNIT – II
Measurement of Temperature: Various Principles of measurement-Classification: Expansion Type: Bimetallic Strip- Liquid in glass Thermometer; Electrical Resistance Type: Thermistor, Thermocouple, RTD; Radiation Pyrometry: Optical Pyrometer; Changes in Chemical Phase: Fusible Indicators and Liquid crystals. Measurement of Pressure: Different principles used- Classification: Manometers, Dead weight pressure gauge Tester (Piston gauge), Bourdon pressure gauges, Bulk modulus pressure gauges, Bellows, Diaphragm gauges. Low pressure measurement – Thermal conductivity gauges, ionization pressure gauges, McLeod pressure gauge.
UNIT – III
Measurement of Level: Direct methods – Indirect methods – Capacitive, Radioactive, Ultrasonic, Magnetic, Cryogenic Fuel level indicators –Bubbler level indicators.
Flow measurement: Rotameter, magnetic, Ultrasonic, Turbine flowmeter, Hot – wire anemometer, Laser Doppler Anemometer (LDA).
Measurement of Speed: Mechanical Tachometers, Electrical tachometers, Non- contact type Stroboscope; Measurement of Acceleration and Vibration: Different simple instruments – Principles of Seismic instruments – Vibrometer and accelerometer using this principle- Piezo electric accelerometer.
UNIT – IV
Stress-Strain measurements: Various types of stress and strain measurements –Selection and installation of metallic strain gauges; electrical strain gauge – gauge factor – method of usage of resistance strain gauge for bending, compressive and tensile strains – Temperature compensation techniques, Use of strain gauges for measuring torque, Strain gauge Rosettes.
Measurement of Humidity: Moisture content of gases, Sling Psychrometer, Absorption Psychrometer, Dew point meter. Measurement of Force, Torque and Power- Elastic force meters, load cells, Torsion meters, Dynamometers.
UNIT – V
Elements of Control Systems: Introduction, Importance – Classification – Open and closed systems- Servomechanisms – Examples with block diagrams – Temperature, speed and position control systems- Transfer functions- First and Second order mechanical systems
- Principles of Industrial Instrumentation & Control Systems, - Alavala, - Cengage Learning
- Basic Principles – Measurements (Instrumentation) & Control Systems – S. Bhaskar – Anuradha Publications.
- Measurement Systems: Applications & design, E. O. Doebelin, TMH
- Instrumentation, Measurement & Analysis, B.C. Nakra & K.K. Choudhary, TMH
- Experimental Methods for Engineers / Holman
- Mechanical and Industrial Measurements / R. K. Jain/ Khanna Publishers.
- Mechanical Measurements / Sirohi and Radhakrishna / New Age International.
CreatedDec 19, 2020
UpdatedDec 19, 2020