JAWAHARLAL NEHRU TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
IV Year B.Tech. IT I-Sem T P C
4+1* 0 4
(ELECTIVE - I)
Introduction : The three I’s of virtual reality, commercial VR technology and the five classic components of a VR system. (1.1, 1.3 and 1.5 of Text Book (1))
UNIT - II
Input Devices : (Trackers, Navigation, and Gesture Interfaces): Three-dimensional position trackers, navigation and manipulation, interfaces and gesture interfaces. (2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 of Text Book (1)).
UNIT - III
Output Devices: Graphics displays, sound displays & haptic feedback. (3.1,3.2 & 3.3 of Text Book (1))
UNIT - IV
Modeling : Geometric modeling, kinematics modeling, physical modeling, behaviour modeling, model management. (5.1, 5.2 and 5.3, 5.4 and 5.5 of Text Book (1)).
UNIT - V
Human Factors: Methodology and terminology, user performance studies, VR health and safety issues. (7.1, 7.2 and 7.3 of Text Book (1)).
UNIT - VI
Applications: Medical applications, military applications, robotics applications. (8.1, 8.3 and 9.2 of Text Book (1)).
UNIT - VII
VR Programming-I : Introducing Java 3D, loading and manipulating external models, using a lathe to make shapes. (Chapters 14, 16 and 17 of Text Book (2))
UNIT - VIII
VR Programming-II : 3D Sprites, animated 3D sprites, particle systems. (Chapters 18, 19 and 21 of Text Book (2))
TEXT BOOKS :
1. Virtual Reality Technology, Second Edition, Gregory C. Burdea & Philippe Coiffet, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.,
2. Killer Game Programming in Java, Andrew Davison, Oreilly-SPD, 2005.
1. Understanding Virtual Reality, interface, Application and Design, William R.Sherman, Alan Craig, Elsevier(Morgan Kaufmann).
2. 3D Modeling and surfacing, Bill Fleming, Elsevier(Morgan Kauffman).
3. 3D Game Engine Design, David H.Eberly, Elsevier.
4. Virtual Reality Systems, John Vince, Pearson Education.